Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Europe Part 3: Munich

I bet you thought I completely forgot about our little Europe trip and the tons of pictures I have yet to share. Nope! While it is taking me an inordinate amount of time to look through our photos and get them up here, its a nice reminder of our fun time (about 6 months ago)!

Our third leg of our trip took us to Munich, Germany. We weren't honestly sure what we would find in Munich as many people described the city as industrial and not very interesting. But I have to say I really loved it. While the city is very large and modern, there are many things to see and do in the city and in the surrounding areas. We visited a palace with a wonderful set of gardens, walked around the central square, and enjoyed the city's love of beer among other things.
 
Around the Marienplatz (central square)



Nymphenburg Palace and gardens







English Gardens and the Chinese Tower Beer Garden




While we were there we also took a trip to the Dachau concentration camp memorial site. My study abroad with Wake Forest included a trip to the Mauthausen concentration camp site. I've tried several times to write here just what that experience was like but its very difficult. There is nothing quite like it and it is both extremely powerful and extremely humbling. What the people in the towns surrounding these former camp sites have done with the sites is amazing and the memorials are both intricate pieces of art and thoughtful ways to remember those lost.










No comments:

Post a Comment