Friday, August 19, 2011

Cooking or whatever you might call it these days

We've changed our eating habits around our little house. So although we do a fair share of prep for meals over the weekend, we're usually prepping veggie based salads or sides and thawing out some frozen fish or chicken or whatever.

This summer I took up a few new health-related habits that included focusing a little more on a better everyday diet. NOT diet, as in eat nothing and lose weight, but diet as in our general eating habits.

Reasons for this:
  1. I was eating WAY too many carbs and I align with the food people who say lots of white flour-based carbs are not good for you. So I wanted to change that.
  2. Our garden was bountiful and I wanted more variety in what we did with that bounty.
  3. I want to move toward eating a more natural diet - mostly plants with some meat, with a little bit of other stuff thrown in there so why not start now?
A typical meal for us looks somewhat like this. Some meat and some veggies. The husband will sometimes augment a meal with some extra food (read carbs) but generally we're satisfied with meals like this.

We needed to get rid of a few chicken thighs that were lost in the freezer. I found a skinless Asian-style baked chicken recipe and we mixed up a salad of edamame and red onion as the side.



The salad was much better day 2 and was loosely based on this recipe.

I find that as long as I eat enough protein, this type of meal is satisfying. I'll share more about our meals as we continue to make changes. And don't worry. Although eating less carbs is an ideal, I still like baking way too much to stop that! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment