Thursday, June 7, 2012

Year 2!

While we were in Europe we celebrated our second anniversary. We had big plans of going to a vineyard overlooking Vienna, Austria, but weather got a bit in the way. We did make it to a few vineyards, tasting food and wine along the way. It was a really nice way to spend our anniversary.


 

Along our short tour of a few vineyards we discussed getting married, you know, the thing you do on your anniversary. I asked the husband when he knew he wanted to marry me. He said very early, within the first year of dating. I NEVER KNEW THIS. Yes, can you believe that?!? In the 6 years we dated before we got engaged I never knew that he wanted to marry me since early in our relationship!




I read over my post from last year and I realize a lot of things have changed in the last year. Living in Texas has improved quite a bit. I am still working on professional goals and living away from family and friends is still hard but things here are getting easier.

As I did last year, here are 10 things I learned this year!
  1. We don't always recognize our own stress and this is ALWAYS when we are the least agreeable.
  2. I really enjoy the time we have in the car together during our commute (as long as I have some coffee before any talking occurs in the morning) - its a great time to talk and when we don't commute together I realize how much I miss that quiet time together.
  3. I like to talk out everything and the husband likes to spend time pondering ideas before talking about them - we are learning to adjust (somewhat) to this difference in communication styles.
  4. I really dislike making decisions for two people - making them for myself is difficult enough sometimes.
  5. Money stuff is hard even when you both have the same approach to money.
  6. The husband is a hard core worrier about some stuff, and other stuff, not at all - it is taking some getting use to on my part. In my counseling education I've worked really hard on my own worrying and to now "share" someone else's is challenging for me.
  7. It is hard work to create meaningful time for one another and I know it will only get harder.
  8. The husband has had some awesome successes this year and it is awesome to share these with him and see his happiness with his achievements (both small and large). There is nothing quite like sharing in moments of happiness with those whom you love.
  9. The husband makes piles of things around the house - clothes, mail, socks, shoes, candy bars from Europe (I could go on) and it drives me CRAZY. We are working on this (very very slowly) (and when I say we, it is mostly me trying not to be bothered by said piles which is NOT going well).
  10. I really enjoy cooking together. It is one of the few things we both enjoy and make time for on a regular basis.
I'm increasingly aware of how lucky I am in life but especially with the husband. He is a great man and I look forward to many more years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment