Monday, July 16, 2012

A great loss

As most people know, we were in North Carolina last week. My wonderful grandfather passed away Monday July 9th at 9:50pm at the age of 92. My heart and mind are still making sense of all of it but I wanted to tell you a little about him. My mom started and has continued a caringbridge site for him if you want to read more about what happened over the last few weeks.

Our little family of four made the decision to leave last Sunday to drive back to NC. I was fortunate to arrive Monday around lunch time and spend time with Pa that afternoon and evening. I'm so very thankful for that time with him and for happier memories of him over the years.



My grandparents, Honey and Pa, lived in Winston, my home town. No matter where in Winston my family moved they were no further away than a short 10-15 minute drive. We celebrated every holiday and birthday with them, had sleepovers until we were too old and 'cool,' and generally enjoyed having our grandparents so close.


It was my grandfather who, along with my uncles taught me how to play poker and the importance of football, but only my grandfather who taught me that homemade cornbread crumbled in a glass of milk is one of the simplest and best dinners ever.


Most importantly though, my grandfather had a way of seeing you for you and in his matter-of-fact way, supporting you. I will always remember the day he asked me if I would major in engineering at NC State. He saw my abilities and knew I could do it if I wanted to. When I told him my plans to major in psychology he was just as pleased because it was what I wanted.


As the years have passed, my grandfather's unfaltering love of his family remains one of the things - the feelings - that outshines all the others. He was a quiet man who despite this, made you always feel loved and respected. He epitomized unconditional love. For that and many other reasons, he will be so dearly missed.



KENNEDY, WINSTON-SALEM Warren Gamaliel Harding Kennedy June 24, 1920 – July 9, 2012. Warren G. Harding Kennedy, 92, passed away July 9, 2012 at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. Mr. Kennedy was born in Tellico Plains, Tennessee to James Pinkney and Queen Esther Jenkins Kennedy on June 24, 1920. He received a football scholarship to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga before serving in the United States Navy. After serving his country, he moved to Houston, Texas where he graduated from the University of Houston. He served as Director of Finance at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and worked with the Old Hickory Council of the Boy Scouts of America where he was awarded the Long Rifle Award for outstanding leadership. He and his family moved to Winston Salem where he became the Associate Dean of Administration and Director of Finance at the Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University Medical Center. He remained at Bowman Gray until his retirement in 1986. He served as president of the Winston Salem Kiwanis Club, served on the Denmark Loan Fund at Wake Forest University, and was an avid tennis player. He was predeceased in death by his parents, seven brothers, five sisters, and daughter Helen Carole Kennedy. He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Helen Harris Kennedy, his children Doris Hixson (Terry) of Florida, Mark Kennedy (Pam) of California, David Kennedy (Dell) of Pennsylvania, Anne Hodges (Warren) and Warren G. Harding Kennedy, both of Winston Salem; grandchildren Orinda Welton (Lyman) of Florida, Elaine Hixson of Arizona, Liana Corn (Stacey) of Germany, Elizabeth Shilling (Chip) of Texas; Eric Kennedy of California, Michael Kennedy (Corey) of Delaware, Charles Hodges of Winston Salem, and Katherine Kennedy of Pennsylvania; great-grandchildren Savannah Welton, Megan and Trevor Corn, and Amelia Kennedy, as well as a host of beloved nieces, nephews and cousins. Services will be held at 2:00 p.m. Friday, July 13, at Centenary United Methodist Church, with Dr. Mark Ralls, Reverend Craig Ford, and Dr. Michael Brown officiating. A private committal service will be held at the Centenary United Methodist Church Columbarium.

1 comment: