Thursday, January 6, 2011

No resolutions here



I'm not really one for resolutions - I think it has something to do with feeling like you're setting yourself up for failure. You know, as a counselor, I'm big about setting goals - but hey, you don't have to wait until January 1 to do that!! Set them when it works for you. And I don't know about you but January is crazy enough without feeling like I have to make all these changes real quick like! :)

So I don't have resolutions but in December (b/c it worked for me) I did a lot of thinking and made some conscious decisions to make some changes. I try to make the best of situations and when situations aren't the best, I try to change 'em! So here goes to making the best of and changing the rest! :)
  1. I need to do the work that I love, that I've worked my tush off for the last 6 years to do - so I'm diligently working on licensure paperwork and (gasp - for all those introverts out there - including me) networking, to get some counseling work going. 
  2. I am tired of having this monkey (or really it feels like an elephant) on my back called my DISSERTATION! And so I developed a plan to work so many hours a week to get it done. 
  3. We work so hard on the weekends that I often feel like I'm having to rejuvenate during the week. This isn't working for us and so we're cutting back on our to-do lists. One major piece of this is prioritizing time together. So we'll cut back a bit on our weekend goals and try to enjoy the weekend more.
  4. I love all the house magazines and house blogs with beautiful house pictures but I don't want that for myself. I want a comfortable home, with meaningful items and I want it to be organized and simple. So we will continue to build and make things for our home but I'm not going to worry about it otherwise. My project list for the year includes only DIY improvements to existing spaces in order to make it more functional, better organized, and more simple with the least amount of work and expense. But I am excited about doing these things!
  5. Prioritizing so we can meet some of our dreams, one of which is to travel. So we'll be sticking to a budget and making some compromises in the next few years so we will not only talk about our dreams but we will experience them!
Not too shabby I think!  I'll be updating in a few days about various craziness around our house - hope things in the new year are pleasant for you so far!!

    1 comment:

    1. Awww...somehow reading this particular post has made me miss you even more :) Guess it's because we have so many things in common, personally and professionally, and I miss sharing life with you everyday.

      ReplyDelete