Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cooking light

This past weekend I went through two notebooks of printed recipes I've acquired over the last 7 or so years. Most of the two notebooks are comprised of recipes from Cooking Light and Everyday Food. Reviewing these renewed my interest in Cooking Light - in my post college days I cooked quite a bit from Cooking Light. I wanted a few easy, quick recipes this week and so I made a Prosciutto and Fontina Stromboli last night. I substituted fontina b/c gruyere is out of control expensive. Simple and good. Definitely not fancy but a nice combination of some yummy ingredients and a quick dinner during the week.  As our local grocery store seems to always be out of at least one of my grocery list items, I had to substitute the french bread dough with pizza dough but turned out well! I had cucumber and tomatoes on hand from a local farm so I made a cucumber-tomato salad as a side.

Here's the recipe:

Prosciutto and Gruyere Strombolis
courtesy Cooking Light
1 (11-oz) can refrigerated French bread dough
2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto
1 cup trimmed arugula
1/2 c. (2 ounces) shredded Gruyere cheese
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
Unroll dough onto a baking sheet; pat into a 14×11 inch rectangle (the kind I got didn’t unroll, so I precut the dough into quarters and rolled it out as thinly as I could with a rolling pin). Cut dough into quarters to form 4 (7 x 5.5 inch) rectangles. Top each rectangle with 1/2 oz. prosciutto, 1/4 c. arugula, 2 tbsp. cheese, and 1 tablespoon parsley. Beginning at the short side of each rectangle, roll up the dough, jelly roll fashion; pinch seam to seal (do not seal end of rolls). Arrange rolls 4 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes or until rolls are slightly browned. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings. Each serving has: 275 cal, 8.5 g fat, 14 g pro, 24 mg chol, 158 mg calc, 754 mg sod, 1.5 g fiber, 2.3 mg iron, 34.4 g carb, 6 WW points.

No comments:

Post a Comment