Friday, July 9, 2010

Holy horseradish

Chip occasionally works from home and he did so yesterday. As he has not been feeling 100% this week, I have been more wifely and made his lunch several times. We'll see how long this lasts. Any how, his lunch of choice was a roast beef sandwich yesterday, as it was Monday. I bought a new horseradish sauce and put it on his sandwich Monday. He reported back that he couldn't really taste it. So yesterday I put a little (really, only a little) more on his sandwich and the report from the other room as I made my lunch was "Holy horseradish Batman." Amusing no less. I have had the horseradish and well, its just ok. My mom has a kind that is hands down better than what we have. (Here's where I complain about our local grocery story again). Unfortunately, the HEB (our local grocery store) is huge, but of the things I seem to need offers only two or three options and is usually out of at least one of them. Alas, this was the case with horseradish sauce. Not to be undone by the HEB and sub par horseradish sauce I decided maybe I could make my own. Whoa. The first recipe I come upon (on a blog) involves a technique very similar to one used to make aioli. Oh no. We and I mean we have not mastered aioli or anything requiring a technique used in aioli. Yes, all the websites say it takes time to master this and yes we have only tried it once (it uses a whole bunch of expensive olive oil and so we have not decided to waste more large quantities of olive oil). Oh well, it appears that horseradish root is uncommon as well. So it looks like we'll be eating sub par horseradish sauce for awhile. (Except that I did find other recipes that do not involve the above challenging technique.) I'll update if we do decide to make horseradish sauce and when we do master aioli - if we ever try again!

And just for fun - we'll be painting this room (picture from when previous owner lived here - although same bright yellow still there) this weekend!



Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I was going to be a nice mother and send you some horseradish but couldn't find the kind I usually buy. Guess I'll need to go to some other stores since Lowe's only had the "refrigerate" only stuff. Can't mail that!

    ReplyDelete