Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Finding and storing ideas

I'm not going to talk about Pinterest here because most people know about it and those who know about it probably spend enough time on it to understand that it sucks your life away minute by minute and for those who don't know about it, suffice it to say its worse than facebook for time wasting.

I have to be honest here, Pinterest sometimes stresses me out. I've been taking break from Pinterest (except some pinning) over the past few weeks. BUT, when in pinch to bake or cook something, I will go to my cooking boards for ideas.

That's where I found the recipe for Chocolate Caramel Tart (via MyBakingAddiction). At some point I pinned the recipe and thought it would work well for a special treat for us this past weekend. Of course, I neglected to read that it took at least 6 hours of chilling time so instead of enjoying it Saturday, we enjoyed it Sunday!

What I did: I followed the recipe exactly, except I took the caramel off before it reached 304 degrees - it was getting too dark and I was concerned it would burn. And of course I added salt to the ganache because I love a salty-sweet dessert!

The verdict: a bit time-consuming in that it takes between 6 and 8 hours of chilling time but other than that, not too difficult. But they are tasty, and well worth the waiting time. These are VERY rich, so much so that I would consider cutting them into halves or thirds to serve. Plus the recipe requires no special techniques or instruments save a candy thermometer and the small tart pans. And I had all of the ingredients on hand. Nice.

Quick crust prep (i.e you can see my finger prints!):



The final product:



No comments:

Post a Comment