Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Did you get to relax this past weekend?? Part I

Because over here we decided that relaxing was for the birds this weekend. Well, we did relax some - to watch the State game (yay State!) and to recover from all the hardwork. Here's a rundown of our nutty weekend. Its divided into two parts b/c its kinda ridiculous.

Thursday - I decided we needed to get going on some projects so I took my happy behind to Home Depot and bought all kinds of fun stuff - reasonably priced of course. We usually shop at Lowes so I was a little out of my element and an hour and half later I had 5 pieces of wood, cut to size, plus some other odds and ends.

When the husband arrived home he decided we should start working on said projects then - right then. By 11pm he had measured, cut, and put together the frame for our first project - a chalkboard for the kitchen! I supervised primarily b/c the man likes using those power tools more than I do.

Friday - We got our behinds up, got ready, and headed to the Houston Humane Society. We spent a long time there and then came home to work on other projects. I taped the chalkboard so the frame could be painted first and worked on finally finishing another little project.

Then we started on project 2 - the headboard!  We got that thing cut using a new jigsaw, and the husband worked on framing it out. See here for the info about framing it. Then we cut the foam to fit inside the frame, sprayed glue on the board to attach the foam and got ready to start on the actual upholstering action. Except the husband said we didn't have enough staples for the staple gun. Blast. So he ran out. Well, it turns out I bought the wrong size of batting so he got that while he was out too - only amazing husbands go into Joann fabric on the search for bigger batting! :) When he got home we got to upholstering. We started with the batting.

Headboard with batting - you can see the frame and foam.

Then we moved to the fabric - which was hard. Man do those women on all the blogs make it look easy when its not. And you add two extremely particular people and upholstering becomes hard work - oh yeah, and add fabric with a pattern. Yep, I read the blogs that said not to use patterned fabric but I decided to make my life harder (note, this theme continues later as well). But the husband was a big help - he is great at visualizing things which helps since I am not. He figured out the best way to pull the fabric so it was properly aligned!

The headboard with fabric - please ignore bed and poor picture.

After all of that, we decided to make dinner at 9:00 and ate at something like 10:30 just as delirium set in.

3 comments:

  1. Liz - I love Chip's nickname! Since Chip is 'the husband' how do you feel about fondly being 'the DIL' - daughter-in law! John is FIL to Jiann. MIL has also been mentioned. There are so many places we could take this!
    Can't wait to see the headboard in person along with all of the other projects that have been finished. You both inspire me! Meg gave me a carpentry course as a gift one year and it was facinating. Chip's grandfather (my Dad) was extremely handy - could make or fix anything. It's nice to see that his talents were passed on to Chip.
    I spent Saturday painting my office (and my Billing Manager's too). It's silverish with a taupe/purple cast. Looks better than it sounds. Picture to follow if I can remember. The current home project is to dig up a verbinum bush and move it about 12 feet and plant a crepe myrtle generally where the verbinum was. Need to spread things out a bit.
    See you soon - love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You guys did a great job. I hope the new addition to the family search is going well. Tell "the husband" he did a great job too. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete