Friday, March 16, 2012

A new cookbook means...

Over the weekend I tried out a recipe from a new addition to our culinary book collection. One of my SILs gave me Good to the Grain for Christmas and I've been waiting to try out some of the recipes. The book is very cool if you are looking to cut down on your AP flour use and get a little more creative in the kitchen. It features chapters with recipes using each of the following flours: whole wheat, amaranth, barley, buckwheat, corn, kamut, multigrain, oat, quinoa, rye,  spelt, and teff.


I knew I could easily get my hands on buckwheat flour, so I decided to make Poppy Seed Wafers.


Interesting little things. Definitely not the simplest cookie recipe but the result were crunchy and light cookies. These are not probably for everyone but the husband and I liked them! They are a dark brown color because of the dark color of the buckwheat flour. Some of the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever made had buckwheat flour in them so I would recommend giving the flour a try sometime!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz and brother!
    So glad that you've started to look through the cookbook. I just saw this post on one of my favorite food blogs and thought of you both: http://orangette.blogspot.com/2012/03/best-part-of-job.html

    ReplyDelete