Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Finishing projects

The husband and I tend to be terrific project starters and project workers but not project finishers. Oh well. The challenge is that we often enjoy the bigger parts of projects but dislike the parts like sanding and painting.

I finally took the initiative to finish the kitchen console (part 1, part 2) this past weekend. You might recall that this project started many moons ago. I think we'll just leave it at that.

As a refresher, we started with plans from AnaWhite.com.

Photo from AnaWhite.com

The husband worked on the building part.



Then the summer heat and all kinds of other things took over and the console sat lonely in the back room (i.e. projects-in-progress-room). That was until a few months ago when I painted and stained it and then the husband attached the back - without telling me that I needed to paint it. So it sat semi-finished in the kitchen for a few more months until this past weekend. Yay! Here it is, finally!




The details:
  • I decided to paint it plain old white because I think this is a little more versatile in the event that we want to move it somewhere else in the house
  • The stain is Minwax Ebony - two coats plus two coats of polyurethane
  • I don't love the feet and will likely change them out but it was the best we could find at Home Depot and Lowes
  • The pulls are from Home Depot and I chose them because they are the same style as the kitchen cabinets and were cheap - easy enough to change out when needed

I love the finished product and look forward to really using it. Despite having sat in the kitchen for all this time, we haven't done much more than pile things on it. So the next project is to get that thing organized and clean up some of the other clutter in the kitchen!



1 comment:

  1. This looks super good. I like the feet!!

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete