Monday, March 7, 2011

Dinner tradition

I'm late getting around to this post - oh well. For last weekend's dinner tradition we decided on a simple dinner with dessert: stuffed jalapenos as an appetizer, hoisin chicken with green onion pancakes, and creme brulee. I've wanted to try out the torch my mom gave me as a Christmas present for awhile now!

The stuffed jalapenos are so yummy. We've made them once before but this time we did both versions. Find the recipes here: Baked Stuffed Jalapenos. The bacon version is of course the husband's favorite. I like both but would add more onion to the cream cheese version to give it more texture.

Before cooking

And they're ready!
After making (and eating) lots of jalapenos, we opted out of the chicken and made only the pancakes. The recipe is from Donna Hay's Flavors cookbook (one of my favorites). We each ate one of the pancakes with a little bit of the hoisin sauce. The pancakes were a little bit like a crepe and would be quite tasty with any number of additions (I may make a quesadilla with spinach and goat cheese using these later this week).

Green onion pancake
Then we made the creme brulee - it was surprisingly simple and quite tasty but we're still trying to master the art of browning the sugar with the torch!

No comments:

Post a Comment