Friday, March 11, 2011

Weekend projects

We've had one big project distributed over the past two weekends - the garden!

Weekend 1 - We transformed an empty space in our backyard into a garden area. On Saturday, I cleaned up the area, measured and marked the location, and filled in holes (thanks dogs) while the husband went to help some friends and get the wood. Then we constructed the bed and put it in the ground. We had dirt delivered Sunday and the husband wheeled it to the bed while I went to the gym. When I came back, I spread the dirt out. Nice teamwork.

The before (and proof that grass won't grow in Texas where the sprinklers will not reach):



  And now the after with just the bed:



Weekend 2 - Friday we bought lots of vegetable and herbs. I potted all of the herbs Friday afternoon. No work on the garden on Saturday but the husband and a friend finished putting up all of the boards on the screen porch and I did a lot of cooking, etc.

Screen porch with updated pressure-treated wood







Some of the plants, waiting to go into the garden!





Sunday after cleaning I tackled planting the garden - whoa, what a job. I first mixed in some manure into the whole bed. Then, based on a tip from my grandmother (Honey), I dug each hole a lot larger than required and filled each with manure, put the plant in, put more manure in, and then finally covered the hole with the other dirt. It was a process. I got about two-thirds of the way done before the husband joined and helped finish the rest.

Here is the planted garden with dog deterrent fencing! (The lighting was bad so the pictures aren't great)



Yay for a garden.

And last but not least, a picture of one of our MANY outdoor helpers (he even turned around for the camera):


I'll keep you updated on the craziness of the garden as it goes!

2 comments:

  1. I think the helper's lady friend is hiding in the shadows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy guacamole! The garden looks amazing!

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete