Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It’s in my blood

Gardening, that is. (so hopefully I end up at least decent at it) One of the clearest and fondest memories I have from my childhood home is the garden. Just the other day I told the husband I would love to see it again because in my memory it is HUGE. We had strawberries and tons of other stuff (I can’t remember all that detail 400 years later). In addition to the garden, we had blueberry bushes and a peach tree. I fondly remember my parents canning yummy jams, etc and making homemade peach ice cream. And my grandmother is still quite the avid gardener, sharing many of her tools of the trade whenever I need some help!

Naturally, one of the most exciting things to me about owning a home was the opportunity to have a garden. And you saw pictures of the garden. We also have a container area with a few more plants too.


But, you might (or might not) be wondering what we put in our big ole garden. For those of you who might be wondering – I’ve provided the list below. Major deciding factors on what went into our garden were things we eat (duh), things that can easily be canned (mainly tomatoes), days to harvest, and space.

Garden plants
3 cherry tomato (early harvest)
7 Early girl tomato (early harvest)
6 Better boy tomato (extra large, later harvest)
3 tomatillo
1 poblano pepper
3 jalapeno
3 red pepper
2 zucchini
1 yellow squash
Green onions – sprinkled about (earliest harvest)

Container plants
Herbs: thyme, basil, parsley, spearmint (bought the wrong kind of mint but it sure smells good!)
2 habenero
1 red chile
1 cucumber
2 jalapenos

Some other pictures from our backyard.





No comments:

Post a Comment