Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ah painting

All the blogs - you know, the fancy well-known ones, say that painting is the easiest thing to change when you're getting your house all home-like. So I decided to take that advice to heart. To give you a back story - we love our house but it came with TERRIBLE paint colors in EVERY room. Of priority after moving in was to quickly cover up the family room color.


See why?

But making quick decisions about paint colors isn't easy especially when, as you can see, we had nothing in the room and really no design concept/theme/idea. And the husband swore off shades of white or lighter colors. So we chose this (please ignore mess).


I really like the color and it really doesn't work in the room for multiple reasons. The first - the room gets almost no natural light and the lighting in it isn't great so its super dark with this wall color.

Taken without flash, at sunniest part of the day for this room.

The second - the room, the very large room can be seen from 6 different rooms or areas in our home thus the color was dictating way too much about the house design and colors and I didn't like that.

So after thinking on it for awhile, painting 8 different color samples on poster pieces and leaving them in two places in the room for about two weeks, we took the plunge. The husband chose a darker shade of tan that I wasn't sure would work. I pondered over it and eventually vetoed him. I'm glad I did b/c the color is great - neutral and light like I wanted. Now we (really me) can add color in other fun ways and it won't feel like we're in a cave! We haven't put anything back in its place yet and I'm going to paint the trim (hopefully this weekend) so we'll post pictures once we get these things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment