Friday, August 6, 2010

DIY dog bed

I'm usually not a fan of spending tons of money on things that I need but aren't made in an appealing way. Dog beds definitely fall into this category as they are usually some ugly green or blue, or in a masculine print like a plaid. Don't get me wrong about plaids - I like them when they're done well but usually this doesn't apply to affordable dog beds. So since people don't seem to manufacture inexpensive, attractive dog beds, I've made my own. I got this hairbrained idea when I adopted Gracie a few years back and came up with a somewhat-stylish and a bit lopsided round bed with a fun brown and white fabric.

Gracie and the original DIY bed
Of course then, I had to enlist my mom to do the sewing b/c I had no sewing machine and didn't know how to use a sewing machine. But that is not the case today! My dad, being the oh-so-thoughtful man he is, gave me a sewing machine for Christmas and I have been looking forward to using it. I finally used it for the first time this week on a DIY dog bed. Because this was my first attempt at sewing with the machine, I used a set of old brown curtains (Chip insisted on black-out style curtains in our apartment bedroom in a previous life) to make the bed. I had some leftover fabric from Gracie's first bed and added a stripe to make it less blah.

The most recent DIY bed

But now that I'm feeling pretty good about the sewing machine and the bed-making, I'm going to use this fabric to make a cover for the new and original dog beds. Very exciting.

2 comments:

  1. I love the fabric! Can't wait to see the finished product. I also got a sewing machine for Christmas from my parents but have not successfully used it yet. Maybe I'll be inspired by your handiwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. I really like the fabric and will look forward to seeing the finished product. Guess you'll have to make 2 though for your new addition.

    ReplyDelete